The most common immigration procedures, such as Permanent Residence and Naturalization petitions, would increase in 2020, according to a rule promoted by Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
Although the agency estimates that the average increase is only 21 percent, some of its services, such as the petition to become a citizen of the United States (Form N-400) would have an increase of 83 percent, going from $ 640 dollars to $ 1,170 dollars.
Others would have increases of 532%, such as the unification of the price for Form I-881, Application for Suspension of Deportation or Special Rule of Cancellation of Expulsion, which currently has a cost of $ 285 dollars for one person and $ 570 dollars per family. The new price would be $ 1,800 dollars, which in the first case represents the increase indicated and in the second case 216%.
In the case of Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjustment of Status there is a reduction to the cost for adults of 2%, going from $ 1,140 dollars to $ 1,120, but the price of $ 750 dollars for requests of children under 14 years would increase 49%, in order to unify the price.
USCIS has the opportunity to increase its costs every two years, which happened in 2016, so in 2018, this newspaper questioned possible increases, an issue that had been under evaluation since then, according to a spokeswoman for the agency.
The interim director, Ken Cuccinelli, has defended the increases recently made by his office, such as the “premium service” for work visa requests, noting that 96% of the agency’s budget in charge depends on the payment of the applicants .
“USCIS is required to examine incoming and outgoing expenses, as well as a company, and make adjustments based on that analysis. This proposed rate adjustment would ensure that more applicants cover the real cost of their applications and minimize the subsidies of an overloaded system, ”Cuccinelli justified.
Some of the proposed changes are:
- I-90, to replace Permanent Residence Card from $ 455 to $ 415 dollars, a 9% reduction
- I-102, Replacement Request / Initial Nonimmigrant Arrival Document from $ 445 to $ 490, an increase of 10%
- I-212, Application for permission to reapply for admission to the United States after deportation or expulsion from $ 930 to $ 1,040, an increase of 12%
- I-539, Application to Extend / Change Nonimmigrant Status from $ 370 to $ 400, an increase of 8%
- I-751, Petition to eliminate Conditions of Permanent Residence (couples) from $ 595 to $ 760 dollars, increase of 28%
- I-765, Application for Employment Authorization from $ 410 to $ 490, a 20% mark
- I-929, Petition to qualify as a Family Member for U-1 Nonimmigrant visa from $ 230 to $ 1,515, an increase of 559%
On November 14, the proposal was published in the Public Registry to receive comments.